2021 Spring Talking Points
Written by Marc Reading
Spring is in the air and welcome to 2021 from us all at Talking Stick Global. Our usual Spring newsletter highlights the year ahead, our plans the trade and B2C shows we usually attend. Sadly our trade shows are on hold and whilst a “virtual event” does have its merits we are missing face to face meetings, sharing a drink and seeing friends and clients.
- What have we been up to? Almost a year ago to the week we were in Dubai celebrating my “significant” birthday and discussing David’s return to take over the business, re branding and expansion. Despite everything that happened in 2021 that did not change. We re-branded as Talking Stick Global and launched Talking Stick Digital
- Welcome to the Digital World “I must confess that whilst I have over 35 years of tourism marketing experience, I am a digital dinosaur “Digital Marketing is not about posts on Facebook, Instagram or any of the other social media platforms and getting likes and shares. It is as I have learnt and exact science that needs to be managed and set up by those with knowledge of the digital world. If not, it can be an expensive and unproductive exercise. Talking Stick Digital is managed and run by Zoey Strzelecki assisted by Emma Keene.
Zoey has years of digital experience having worked for agencies in London and Dubai running key global accounts, Emma newly graduated, has a master’s degree in digital marketing from Southampton University. Talking Stick Digital has a diverse client base ranging from e-commerce, retail, financial investment firm and tourism to a Gulf based telecommunications company. Our Spring newsletter bring s you more below.
- Cresta Mowana Safari Lodge & Spa welcomes Carol White as the new General Manager, Carol is the consummate hotelier and well known to the international travel trade from her time as Managing Director of The Meikles Hotel and Victoria Falls Hotel. Cresta have also added Phakalane Golf Estate and Convention Centre in Gaborone to their property portfolio.
- Legacy Hotels & Resorts sees Robert Hodson take over as COO with Paddy Brealey retiring as MD but staying on as a Director. On the International marketing side Kathy Davies, a long-time friend of the UK travel trade has retired from her travels and Hara Jackson now taking over international marketing.
- Zambezi Cruise Safaris have opened the Crowned Eagle Safari Lodge in Kariba adding another piece to their Zimbabwe safari circuit and will be offering sailing flotilla holidays on the lake in 2021.
- Roots and Journeys have branched out from Botswana into Eswatini having acquired Dusty Boots and will be offering walking and adventure holidays in the Kingdom.
- The Zambezi Queen Collection continues to be royalty on the water. Kirsty Coetzee and David will be out and about to update you on the fleet as soon as possible.
- The Wellworth Collection have introduced a robust Covid policy in all properties and are seeing the welcome return of international guests as Tanzania opens.
- Wild Frontiers despite not being able to run physically hosted a successful “virtual” Victoria Falls Marathon. All the camps, lodges and hotel properties in Uganda are open for the local and international markets. The Tanzania camps are ideal for “bubble safaris”.